Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: Where I Belong, Gwendolyn Heasley

Where I Belong, by Gwendolyn Heasley, is about 16-year-old Corrinne Corcoran, who lives every girl's dream in New York. But all her happiness is supposedly ruined when her father gets laid off, so she and her brother have to go to Broken Spoke, Texas, to live with her grandparents.

I started this book because I thought it would be a good book about a city girl who adapts to country life, but it really is not a very good book and I didn't like it. I mean, she always talk about wanting to go to bars where they don't card so that she can get drunk with her friends, she lusts after a cowboy who is a rock star and doesn't realize that he is not a good boy for her to be with, she disrespects her grandparents, and there are a couple S and D words. She actually hates her mother and flips the bird at other people quite a few times. She worries too much about calories, whether 'cute' or 'hot' boys like her, and she disses her best friend and her parents and grandparents a bit too much for my taste, and she just makes me a  little sick how she constantly talks back to others and she talks too much mess about the country life (like Sonic being a big deal. Hello, if we had a Sonic where I live I would be talking about it to all the new people!) for my taste. On the one bright-ish side, later in the book, she is a little changed and doesn't want the punky, whining cowboy who works with her in the barns, to like her anymore (although that is mostly because she thinks he is cheating on her with her friend Waverly). Overall, I would not recommend this book to anyone under the age of 14, mostly because of some of the bad values and morals that Corrinne's story encourages. Sorry if  I have offended anyone who likes this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment